February 28, 2006

Durrow Finale: Mirrored Charts and Bums

One last sleeve shot of the finished Durrow (with mirrored butt modestly photoshopped out):

Durrow

For the pervs who asked last time, clicking on the above pic will remove the photoshop mask. Click at your own risk.

For anyone interested in the mirrored charts that I used to reverse the cable on the second sleeve, these are the mirrored charts that Jodi provided to me:

http://www.fey.ca/images/durrow_chart_a_flip.jpg
http://www.fey.ca/images/durrow_chart_b_flip.jpg
http://www.fey.ca/images/durrow_chart_c_flip.jpg

I bravely claimed not to need them, and I didn't really, you know, NEED them or anything, but I did indeed use them and they did indeed make life easier. Thanks Jodi!

About the neckline. I don't know what happened. It was huge, and nothing else about the sweater is out of scale. In the end I ripped back the front to the start of the neck decreases and the sleeves back to the end of the raglan shaping. I continued the raglan shaping on the sleeves rather than working them even after 17 decreases as the pattern called for, and worked them a little bit longer than originally called for. I made the neck opening at the front less wide by casting off two stitches on either side for the first two neck decreases and one stitch on either side for the next four decreases, rather than casting off two stitches for all the decreases as called for, and cast off an extra four stitches for the shoulder decreases on each side of both the front and back (which is why the sleeves had to be a little bit longer at the top). Decreased another 10 stitches when starting the neckband, which removed about 40 stitches in all from the neck opening. Knit the neckband firmly on smaller needles and cast off using a super-stretchy cast-off (K or P as presented, K2togTBL). I don't know of anyone else having this issue with Durrow, so maybe it's just me. I record this only for posterity.

About the sleeve decreases: The math on the increases doesn't work out, at least not for the size small. It says to increase for the first time when the piece measures 4"/10cm, which for me was at row 15 in Chart A (which covers rows 1 to 19), and then increase every 8 rows thereafter for a total of 13 increases. Chart B covers rows 20 to 49, and is to be repeated three times, and Chart C, which closes the cables, covers rows 50 to 71. If I increased every 8 rows I would have been making my final increase in row 51 of Chart C after completing the three repeats of Chart B. The pattern says to start the shoulder decreases around row 46 of the third repeat of Chart B (after working pattern as set for a while after completing the increases). Conflict. I just worked the last three decreases every 6th row rather than every 8th.

About chart errata: In cable chart A, row 13, 12 squares in from the right-hand side the symbol indicates: sl 2 sts to cn, hold to front, p2, k2 from cn. It should instead indicate: sl 2 sts to cn, hold to front, k2, k2 from cn. In chart A, row 16, there are two blank squares that should be purl stitches. In chart B row 43, there's a blank square that should be a purl stitch.

Even with the problems I experienced, it was a fun knit and I'd recommend it to anyone. Let me know how your neck turns out, though; I'm interested...

Posted by Ken Allen at February 28, 2006 5:37 PM