October 30, 2013
Wonder if commenting is fixed.
April 26, 2010
reality tv in living colour
Watching American politics is my reality TV. Tim Wise provides much food for thought about Protest, Insurgency and the Workings of White Privilege.
April 17, 2010
bike rally training
And so it begins... today was my first training ride for this year's bike rally. I have a fancy new bike computer, so it's statistics galore over here.
This will be my third year participating in the Friends For Life Bike Rally, and I've learned so much from so many people when doing this. More than anything else, I've learned from the kind and generous people who have contributed that we are all part of a larger community, that we are all affected when anyone is afflicted, that none of us is alone. Anyone wonderful enough to sponsor me for the Bike Rally, can do so here: http://www.fey.ca/bikerally
Back to the stats... here's how the first training ride went:
March 12, 2010
Laser or Goggles
So it looks like I've made up my mind, at least for now. I've spent the last couple of months thinking about getting laser surgery to correct my vision, but in the end the risks seem too great for the slight annoyance I would be correcting. My eyes aren't that terrible, after all, -1.50, so even if there was a great glasses blight after the end of the world, I'd still be able to walk around without bumping into things. Everyone I know who's had corrective surgery is happy with the results, and in fact 95% of people are, as far as I could ascertain. That remaining 5% is bothersome to me, though, and I HATE creating a new problem when I solve an existing one.
So today I ordered a prescription version of these, to eliminate my reliance on bothersome contacts at least for cycling, and I think they look kinda citified as well, so I won't look like I'm wearing cycling goggs if I wear these around town. Maybe I'll look into the lasers again next year.
January 26, 2010
I upgraded to a 27" iMac, because, well, size matters, and I love being able to have stuff open all over the place. It also allowed me to sell my old iMac to Bonnie, who I feared was going to replace her aged PC with another PC because of cost, which is just plain wrong. Everyone wins, and the world has another convert to the Cult of Apple.
The new iMac came with a seriously downsized keyboard, though, which was infuriating. I use the number pad all. the. time. The new wireless keyboard has no number pad. Also no home/end or page up/down keys. No function keys beyond F12 (F13 is Print Screen in Windows when using VMWare Fusion). Sometimes Apple takes aesthetics too far... the smaller keyboard footprint does indeed make the desk look less cluttered, but at the cost of too much function.
But there are workarounds. Turns out that VMWare Fusion includes the ability to remap keys to PrintScr in its preferences, and a great tool (which I learned about here), KeyRemap4MacBook, maps FN+jkluio789 to a "virtual" number pad (among many other very useful things). And so the fury abates once again.
PS: Also have to say, briefly, that the magic mouse is definitely a welcome upgrade from the naughty mighty mouse. No more screeching with rage when the tiny ball, yet again, decides that it doesn't scroll down after I've used control scroll-up to zoom all the way in on something.
Some people say life is about more joy, but sometimes I'll settle for less fury.